A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Saturday 12 March 2022

What happened next? Apart from Covid....

 2 full years have gone by since my last attempt at a decent cycling adventure. In that time, so much has happened, and so much has not happened! 

Melbourne was not a great place to be in terms of restrictions during the peak of the pandemic, that was long and harsh here. The worst part for me was the "5km rule" where you were not allowed to be more than 5km from your house, and for no more than 2 hours of exercise. I did try and get creative, giving "suburbing" a go (Riding every single street in your suburb) which was very unexciting but about the only option. Mt fitness fell away as a result, until finally I got a lifeline indoor trainer to attach to a bike set up indoors...that helped me claw back fitness a bit.

I also contracted covid eventually myself, although I did not notice it much except for a return of childhood asthsma which only re-appears if I exercise very hard. Unfortunately that seems to happen more frequently now.

Anyway, the main reason for this post is that I finally have another trip planned! I am heading back to Tassie to take on a circuit of the highlands. Its the shoulder season there and I'll be crossing my fingers on the weather, but really looking forward to another adventure.



This weekend, I had a practic run with an overnight ride to the nearest national park to home, with a pleasent nights camping. I did this bikepacking style, which was great...my only issue being not being able to carry enough water...there were no places to get it on this route. I'll re- think this set up for Tassie where there will also a be a few stetches where it is scarce, and I did not have much room spare for food...I may go with a more traditonal pannier touring set up I think.


It is great to be out and about again though, just magic....


Next update: hopefully after Tassie!


No comments:

Post a Comment