A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Thursday 31 March 2022

The Highlander - Day 1 - Cradle Mountain Area

I slept badly on the ferry, I just could not get comfortable...the floor would have been better than a recliner chair I think. Thankfully, it was over before too long and I had a big breakfast then got changed back into my cycling gear. Soon we docked at Devonport and I was rolling off the ferry towards the hills.From my last fateful visit I remember the first climb being one of the steepest and it smashed me this time too. There probably is a better way to leave Devonport, don't follow my route!!

The roads were very quiet though and every vehicle that passed me seemed to be an early 90s era Ute with a flat bed on the back, painted white. Yes, that specific. The road had no shoulder but most drivers were good with their overtaking decisions.

Soon I hit the notorious Gentle Annie Hill described in my last visit. Whilst far from gentle, I did not find it too bad this time, but there were plenty more to come! I stopped for a coffee at the only services (later correction: The Cradle Forrest Inn is also a  possibility a bit further up the hill) between Devonport and Cradle Mt and had a decent rest and a top up of water. 

Approaching the Highlands - Mt Roland

The hills just after this village were very intense, a 14% incline in places and quite a slog up to Cradle. Finally the road levelled out a bit (relatively speaking) and the highlands scenary rather suddenly opened up like pealing back the top of a can of peaches. It's really pretty up here with stunted sub alpine trees, mosses and thick spongy grasses that you just want to lay down in. All so very green everywhere you look.


At Cradle Mountain I rode up to the visitor centre cafe and I stopped for a coffee and sandwich  and made use of the only place I have had mobile reception since Devonport to let my wife know all is well.  As was the case at a few places on this route they could only take cash at the time, some problem with their connection...take some cash in case.

I couldn't see where you could get free water here, I tried the bathrooms but there were warning signs over the taps indicating it was not tested, and it looked suspiciously brown. So instead I went to the tiny grocer at the camp site and paid a lot for bottled plastic..such an annoying shame. I needed enough for an overnight camp and probably at least a few hours the next day. Once all full, I moved on westward.

There was another very substantial and steep hill about 10km down the road and I was having bad asthma and had to stop 3 times to calm down my breathing. I took this as a sign it was time to stop and found a great spot to camp...still wheezing like crazy, the worst asthma I have had since a teenager.


My Garmin tells me this is my PB for meters gained [later edit: not for long as it turned out] and I can sure feel it. The old body is telling me that a big rest is needed overnight. A delicious dinner of freeze dry Mediterranean lamb washed down with an electrolyte drink followed while I watched the sun go down in perfect stillness and serenity...no one around, the only sounds my horrible breathing. But that was an amazing ride today!

Day 1 Summary:

  • Distance: 87.5km
  • Meters Gained: 1939m 😮



No comments:

Post a Comment