A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Thursday 31 March 2022

The Highlander - a 6 Day Cycle of Tasmania - Summary

I am back at home now from an amazing ride in stunning Tasmani, the route of which I called "The Highlander" for reasons which should be obvious! I am sharing a summary this latest adventure for anyone else planning something similar. 

I did film parts of this ride and will edit a video shortly....

First of all, this was the overall route:


I did this with 5 days riding, totally self supported carrying all my own food, water, and camping gear etc. I also had 1 rest day sight seeing in Strahan.  Although my daily distances were lower than some of my other tours, the hills made this quite challenging. Here are the stats, and you can look at the route in more detail on each journal page below:

The Grand total (Including riding from home to the ferry)

  • Distance: 602.79
  • Ascent: 7017m

The Bike


I travelled as light as possible, but this set up includes tent, sleeping back, cooking gear, tools, up to 5 litres water (with a small camelback not pictured) tools, down jacket, food, power supply for devices. I may share the full gear list later.


Some useful links:

1 comment:

  1. Mr Brain - you're mad - I remember the reaction to you riding across the nullarbor 'I wouldn't even attempt that in a car'

    ReplyDelete