A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Thursday 31 March 2022

The Highlander - Day 0 - Departing Melbourne

It is always such a crazy scramble on the last few days of work just to get things lined up OK so I won't be worrying about it while away. But away I am! There is something really magical about riding out your front door without getting in a car...or even a plane.. and still feeling like you are off to see the world.

In this case, at least just for today, I am only riding to the Ferry terminal...but this feeling of adventure is there for sure.

It was a nice ride in, a little over 30kms and with a trip on the punt across the Yarra. The laden bike was getting a lot of attention from the cycle commuters on their way home from work, which is exactly how I normally use the punt myself. One passenger had just got back from a hiking trip in Tassie and was pretty concerned at my description of the route. As am I, becuase I have gone from the excited planning stage to the omgwhatthehellareyoudoing stage. I get this on every big ride and have learnt to recognise that the feeling is temporary. Once you get underway and get the first 100km done, the body takes over. The mild panic is there because with every adventure there are unknowns, and that is why it is an adventure in the first place!

Since my last big ride, the body is not so young now. I have an arthritic right knee that gets quite painful, and asthma has returned a bit...so I'll be managing these things whilst hopefully still having a really good crack at pushing myself.

I am on the spirit of Tasmania now which is an overnight sailing and docks in Devonport at the perfect time of 6.50am. After this, it will be a ride up the massive climb to Cradle Mt to get things started. Ouch. I have not done big hills for a few years so it will definitely be a challenge. Henceforth from this point on, I shall call this trip...The Highlander....Game on.


Day 0 Summary:

  • Distance: 37km
  • Meters climbed: 0


No comments:

Post a Comment