A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Tuesday 5 November 2019

Sydney to Brisbane - Day 6 - Coffs Harbour

Kempsey wasn't the most glamorous town I have passed through. It was not possible to find anything for dinner that was not fast food, despite having a good walk around. The town had clearly fallen on harder times, with many boarded up businesses. Since most of the accommodation was booked up, I wondered what all the other visitors were eating, apparently many were fire crews and I'd imagine they'd want to eat well.

Anyway I got cracking at 7am and had a good solid push all the way to Macksville, about 50km. It was on the freeway again, and still very smokey...but quick miles. At Macksville there was 1 excellent coffee shop and I enjoyed sitting in the sunshine at the front, with a delicious brew.

After that it was a relatively short hop to Nambucca Heads, using a combination of rural roads and bike paths. The roads were narrow and hairy...so grateful to get off them. Nambucca Heads is stunning, rugged mangroves, perfect golden sand, and stormy winds. It is worth the short but steep climb to the various lookout's. Amazing how much smoke is around still...even here on the coast.


Nambucca Heads in Smoke Haze



From here I took Glinagey Way,  a rural B road which hugs the freeway north. The shoulder is not great here and I personally believe the freeway is safer...but admittedly the scenery is much better here!

Once in Urunga, I was a bit ragged and looking for shortcuts that were not really there, to get to Coffs. The better option is the suggested looping 41km on the coastal trail but this road was closed because of fires. So I just had to push on. Even a fairly big town like Coff's had amazing beaches.


Coffs Harbour


Tonight I washed my cycle gear as I've started getting saddle sores...a good Indian Meal and a good sleep will hopefully encourage a strong day pushing pedals tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment