A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Tuesday 5 November 2019

Sydney to Brisbane - Day 3 - Nelson Bay

I got going just after 7am this morning after a light breakfast. It was a beautiful morning, clear sky's and no wind.. should be a cracker! On the other side of town after crossing the bridge over the harbor entrance, a good bike path follows the lake shore for a short while so I took that to warm up.

The path didn't last long but the road at least had a bit of a shoulder. There was plenty of traffic. Bianca has been making some horrible creaking noises and there is a vibration coming from the crank, so I had scouted out a bike shop to get her checked out...a slight detour of a extra few kms. Hadly cycles were amazing...the mechanic stopped what he had been doing and took a look her. It turned out just to be some bolts on the crank that were loose...the two I had not checked of course....duh...

With that all sorted I was back on my way and rejoined the route at a sensational railway incline bike path that connects up with the southern part of Newcastle. Whether in a hurry or not, take this route as it is both very beautiful but also quick if you are that way inclined.


The Fernleigh trail


I stopped midway here as I ran into another cyclist who'd had a breakdown. there were inner tubes and co2 canisters all over the place but all he needed was a pump and he was grateful for the assist. He warned me of bogan traffic in Newcastle.


Newcastle

Once in town I made the foolish decision to climb the hill over the harbour at Newcastle....shes a steep one!! But I was feeling strong today and enjoyed it. After that and a bite to eat I jumped on the short ferry trip across the harbour...this one seemed to run every 20mins or so, no planning required.


Bianca...isn't she pretty?

With roughly 40km to go, it was a mix of conditions on a busy road but an ok shoulder most of the time, just a lot of debris on it from the hot winds a few days prior. I took marsh road once closer to Nelson Bay, this is quiet and a good ride.(Note: no water here).

There are a couple of small but very steep hills just as you hit Nelson Bay. Great day! I felt really strong today and probably should have kept going had I checked the ferry situation more carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment