A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Tuesday 5 November 2019

Sydney to Brisbane - Day 2 - Lakes Entrance

Thankfully, I awoke early and feeling recovered from the effects of yesterdays hot weather, I got going as early as possible to cross the rest of the south side of the city. It was a Sunday morning and that surely helped! The other win, was the improvement in the weather as the brutal westerly had died off and cooler temps in the 20s prevailed...much better for cycling :)


Selfie



I got to Circular Quay without any major dramas and enjoyed the cyclist friendly ferry ride across the harbor to Manly. I'd broken my pump trying to get 80psi in my tires overnight and didn't want to ride further North without a replacement. Manly beach was a great place to get caffeinated and wait for the bike shop to open at 10am....the beach was crazy busy with surf schools and beach volleyball.


Manly Beach


I had a funny dream the night before that my tires were going constantly flat so it felt good to mitigate that risk...and soon after 10am I was on my way north with a couple of short steep climbs around the northern bays. It was a bit of a race actually I wanted to make the 12pm ferry to Ettagong. There was another one 2 hours later, but I prefer to be done riding earlier in the day...so made a crack for it and made it with a few mins to spare. The roads are not great around here...not much of a shoulder and the traffic was....ample. Gorgeous wooded sandy bays abound though...


Palm Beach, from the Ferry


It was a very nice boat trip however, and I then had time for this eggs bennie before leaving town. There was a good bike path initially of the town, great riding and loads of huge Pelicans in this area.


2nd Breakfast, 11'sies or Lunch?


Pelicans


Its a fiddly route needing many map checks and it took me ages to get the 100km done. A special highlight was a random runner who stopped to ask about my cycle shirt which is branded with the challenge. He was training for 21 half marathons in 21 days...sounded hard...

Bianca (the bike) is creaking a lot and I am now worried the bearings in the crank are going. I will try get her seen too tomorrow, though maybe lucky to get an on the spot service. Fingers crossed!



No comments:

Post a Comment