A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Sunday 19 February 2012

A greeat weekend of country riding

Just back in from 2 days out of London and with really varied riding in some lovely scenery...topped off with a superb Sunday roast with friends at the end. It started with an early train from London up to Norwich. Unfortunately the weather forecast wasn't great - though it wasn't as cold as recently, there was a strong gusty wind coming from the west and bouncing me round all over the place, sometimes dropping my speed into single digits as I left Norwich. It was a serious grind and an energy sapping 60kms to Bury Saint Edmunds where I'd originally planned to stop for lunch and move on.


Fairly knackered when I arrived but had a quick look round the ruined Abby which dates back to the 10th century. The rest of the town was quite pretty too and I ended up wheeling my bike through a very busy market despite the rain which joined the days list of weather festivities around lunch time...so I ducked into a pub to fuel up and figure out some options. This was what the pub considered a "light bite" by the way:

After finally getting through most of that lot, it was getting too close to dark already, so I jumped on a train to Cambridge where I'd booked a cheap B&B.

Day 2 started with a quick look at the University, nowhere near enough time to take in the place properly but was blown away with the size of it and the glaring history of the place. Kings College was particularly impressive!



Pushing on, I headed west into a much lighter headwind in and with clear skys. The B roads were wonderfully flat and I made great time, adding a few extra miles on my indented route by passing though the amusingly named:



And the downright ALARMINGLY titled:



Say no more. Finally, topped off a good ride with a planned visit to our friends house where my Wife and no less than 3 "Lesser Spotted Buhmanns" were to be seen! A rare site, especially when accompanied by 3 Dahl's at the same location! Thanks for a great lunch guys.



This took my cycling tally for the week to 245km and thats a bit more like it after a low week last week.

Donations however have been really lacking...am not to good at this and need some ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment