A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Sunday 26 March 2023

Bagels Alpine Crossing - Day 3

It was a much warmer night and I didn't even need my sleeping bag till the early morning hours. Best of all there was no dew either, and I got moving just after 6am. The pack up went a lot faster as a result and I was on the move an hour later having returned my key for the campground at the general store and had a chat with a curious grey nomad who came over to investigate the weirdo with the world's smallest tent [especially when compared with the sprawling motor home + gazebo set ups, not that I'm jealous].

I had 2 options today, dictated by the train timetable from Bairnsdale back to Melbourne: Option 1 was to go hell for leather and try cover the 100km by lunchtime. The benefit of this is a 5pm arrival in Melbourne and getting home for a proper meal without having to ride the last bit in the dark. Option 2 was a more leisurely paced ride to make a 4pm train and get to Melbourne at night. I think you can probably guess which option I took...

The road was really quiet and my legs ok on the flat bits but still a bit pumped with lactic acid from all the climbing yesterday, so I was in Donkey mode again for any climbs. Although there was lots of downhill from here there was still 900m up so I was only 50/50 confident of making option 1.

After the hamlet of Ensay the road drops into a tight gorge next to the river, and is totally spectacular riding. I only took 1 photo here which I will probably regret later, but did film sections with my little handlebar mounted gopro.

The Tambo river

Mostly I focused on keeping moving, there were no supplies the whole way till Bruthen, but one could probably stealth camp on this section if you were stocked up with provisions.

Lower quality still from GoPro - not much space in the Tambo gorge

At Bruthen I had my only short break, necking 3 drinks from the servo, and another musli bar. From here you can either get a rail trail which is, 32 km to Bairnsdale on unsealed paths, or stay on the b500 which was 25km.  I had actually ridden this section of the bike path before on my Melbourne to Sydney ride many years ago.

I took the slightly faster B500, and it was not a good option I might add. It's hairy, very not ok for cyclists even with a small shoulder. There are 2 reasonable hill climbs as well. But at least  25km is not far at all and soon I hit outer Bairnsdale, in time for the train even with a quick cafe stop included which turned out to be lucky as there is no food on the train. 

Back in Melbourne I ended  up riding home fromt he station , adding another 30km to the total.

So that wraps up Bagels Alpine Crossing, 2 days riding in the end, but 3 days elapsed with the train trips. Mt Hotham fully lived up to all expectations, beautiful, tough, rewarding..even as a day rider. Carrying a heavy load it's a notch harder, but the scenary coming down the valley on the southern side is well worth doing a whole crossing and nice camping.

Another option might be to travel light and sleep inside but you would have to book ahead for this most of the year round I suspect.

Thank you Mt Hotham for seriously testing my limits and letting me pass through safely!

Day 3 Stats:

  • Distance: 95.03 + 32.07 = 127.01
  • Elevation gain: 923m
  • Calories: 5308



Trip Total: 396.7km

No comments:

Post a Comment